Applying for Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What forms do I need to apply?

Initially, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can complete the FAFSA online.  Graduate students (excluding Law students) and part-time student must also complete the Duquesne University Financial Aid Application

Q. What is the deadline to apply for financial aid at Duquesne University?
A. To receive maximum consideration for aid, students must complete a FAFSA prior to May 1 each year.
Q. What is Duquesne University’s code for the FAFSA?
A. 003258.
Q. What scholarships are available?

Prospective Freshman? Click here for information on Freshman Scholarship opportunities.

Transfer student? Click here for information on Transfer Scholarship opportunties. 

Q. In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?
A. Yes. In order to receive consideration for as many programs as possible all students should file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  If you are a Graduate student (excluding Law) or a part-time student, you must also submit the Duquesne Financial Aid Application.
Q. What are my chances of receiving financial aid?
A. The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Q. What are the factors that determine need?
A. Many variables are considered such as: family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, savings, investments, income, and assets.
Q. What does it take to be considered an independent student?
A. Any one of the following will result in your being independent: age is over 23 years; a ward of the court; both parents deceased; a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces; legal dependents (other than a spouse) for which you provide more than half of their support; married at the time of filing; an emancipated minor as determined by your state; were in legal guardianship as determined by your state; or were considered homeless.
Q. If my parents are separated or divorced, whose income is reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
A. The parent you live with should complete the FAFSA. If the parent you live with has remarried, the information of that parent and their new spouse (stepparent) must be used.
Q. What should I do if my family's financial circumstances change after I apply for financial aid?
A. If your family's financial circumstances have changed due to death of a parent, divorce or separation or loss of employment, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your situation.
Q. What is the Student Aid Report?
A. The Student Aid Report, or SAR, is generated from the information you submit on your FAFSA. A copy is sent to you and to the college(s) indicated on your FAFSA. It will provide you with how much the government expects you to contribute (Expected Family Contribution or EFC).